Your Ad Here

The heat on “convicted” handwrap cheater Antonio Margarito is not going to go away because Bob Arum and Jerry Jones have waved some magic wand.

No, the focus on Manny Pacquiao's Nov. 13 opponent is going to remain centered on how California spurned his license application and how those Lone Stars in Texas ignored what the Golden State did.

The media dog and pony show for this fight, hardly one that can be said to be “by popular demand,” begins at the scene of the Maragrito crime, Los Angeles, with a Tuesday press conference and then rolls on to New York and to venue Cowboys Stadium.

It would be a brilliant stroke if Politician Pacman, Congressmanny from Sarangani, grabbed the bull by the horns so to speak and addressed the contorversy when he takes the podium at the ultra posh everly Hills Hotel. He could do the same in Manhattan and in Arlington.

I've even come up with a little script for Megamanny which might reduce the tension and help to lift the cloud over his foe.

“As you all know, I am a politician now. But I did not come here to make a political speech. I came to speak as a devout Catholic, as a Christian, and I want to say that I have made mistakes, I have committed sins like any man and any woman.

“My religion and so many others are based on the forgiveness of sins. I don't know what Margarito knew about his handwraps. He's said he didn't know they were tampered with and I take him at his word.

“Now Margarito has publicly apologized for this conduct and both he and this then trainer have been punished. In my opinion, who are any of us to sit in judgment of another human being?

“We go to confession in my church. We ask for the forgiveness of sins, venial and mortal, and Christ absolves us of those sins in His compassionate way.

“So, as far as I am concerned and hope all you fans will feel the same way, Margarito has a fresh slate and I know he is coming to fight me, to try to beat me and he will do it fair and square.

“I don't know what mistakes he has made but I do know he is a fierce fighter and, like all the Mexican boxers, has a fierce pride. I am kind of an expert on tough Mexican opponents.

“The time to talk about handwraps is over. Let's put all that in the rear view mirror and speak on this rugged fight, a fight I know and Antonio knows won't be easy.

“Let's now focus on entertaining the fans, giving them their hard earned money's worth.”

Short and sweet, not sanctimonious or overbearing.

Pacman should not use my script, he should speak his own words.

But, as the Ultimate Man of Respect in boxing, he should not dodge the topic.

If you recall, Manny was frank enough to say that he thought Margarito knew what was in his handwraps before the Shane Mosley bout, an opinion stated by Oscar de la Hoya and other prominent fighters.

If he is half the Man-ny, I think and you think he is, Pacquiao will not avoid addressing the elephant in the room at these three press conferences.

By doing so, he shows his own compassion and does a solid for Margarito.

He also lifts the fog over this promotion and then we can get back to talking boxing.

It would be a righteous act and it would fit Pacquiao like, well, like a glove.

(mlcmarley@aol.com)


Source: http://www.examiner.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Related Posts with Thumbnails
top