Your Ad Here

There's been no lack of boxing news lately, or perhaps I should say, news about boxers. This is just an informal article in which I would like to take the opportunity to share my opinions on some matters that have been hitting the headlines lately.

Feel free to exercise your right to disagree. (As if that needed to be said, right?)

Manny Pacquiao

It's amazing to me that this guy draws so much criticism. Honestly, I can't understand why he has so many haters. He doesn't go around shooting off his mouth. He doesn't participate in pre-fight mud-slinging campaigns, as so many fighters do. Typically, he becomes friends with his opponents during all the pre-fight hoopla.

He promotes his fights simply by being Manny Pacquiao.

On fight night, he smiles all the way to the ring, then instantly morphs into the most dangerous and exciting fighter on planet earth at the sound of the opening bell.

There is simply nobody that I'd rather see in a boxing ring than Manny Pacquiao. He beats the snot out of his opponent, then sings "Sometimes When We Touch" at the post-fight press conference.

He comes across as a genuinely nice guy, and everyone that I personally know who has met him, likes him. He is, in my opinion, the greatest ambassador of the sport we all love.

What's not to like?

Antonio Margarito

I met Margarito, along with boxing scribe Michael Marley, at the Gaylord Hotel in Dallas prior to the Pacquiao - Clottey fight. He also came across as a nice guy.

He didn't speak any English, but was very gracious enough to provide photo ops for everyone around. He also provided me with his contact info, a phone number that I've called several times with interpreters standing by.

I've never been able to reach him.

Did he know about the plaster in his handwraps? Probably. Would it be possible for a trainer to slip some plaster into his handwraps without him knowing it? Sure! Haven't you ever seen Criss Angel? The dude does some illusions that would put such a simple little trick to shame!

Should Margarito still be boxing? I don't think so. At best, he's guilty by association, and in all seriousness, somebody could get badly hurt, or killed by a stunt like that. At worst, he knew all about it.

As far as his upcoming fight with Pacquiao, it is what it is. Whether we like it or not, it's happening, and in all likelihood, it should be a great fight. I'll be watching.

I'll also insert that blaming the Pacman for taking the fight is ridiculous.

Ricky Hatton

Recent reports of Hatton's caught-on-tape cocaine snorting has got a lot of people up in arms. Cocaine is an illegal drug, and it can get a guy in trouble in a lot of different ways. However, I wonder how many of the people who are attacking him have ever done something illegal? I wonder how many of the people who are attacking him have actually done illegal drugs at some point in their lives?

I'm not condoning his actions. From what I've read, neither is he. The guy has admitted he has a problem with alcohol and drugs, and he has vowed to get professional help.

The Bible mentions a time when a woman was caught in the act of adultery. According to the Jewish law, she was to be stoned to death.

The people who caught her brought her to Jesus and told Him what she had done. Jesus practiced forgiveness and mercy.

He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " Everybody walked away, and Jesus forgave the woman.

I say give Hatton the chance to get his life straightened out, and cut the guy some slack.

There's no shame in a man admitting when he's made a mistake.

The shame is when he tries to cover it up.


Source: http://www.examiner.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Related Posts with Thumbnails
top